Monday, March 23, 2009

Toddler Friends?

I went out to dinner a few days ago with Baby Bean's two Great Grandmothers, who are both my in laws. It probably wasn't the greatest idea in the world since Baby Bean is getting molars, and hasn't been eating a whole lot. It was obvious that one of the Great Grandmothers was having a really hard time with the fact that Baby Bean just wasn't interested in eating all that much. I have never been one of those people who believes in forcing a kid to eat something that they really don't want. I think they should have to try it, but if the truly don't want it, fine. I was just truly thankful that Baby Bean was in a good mood and didn't have a melt down in the restaurant.

I casually mentioned during dinner that I was thinking about enrolling Baby Bean, who is almost two and half right now, into a preschool just for a few hours a week starting in the fall. Academically, she is ready. I think the socialization would be good for her. Talk about opening a can of worms with the Great Grandmothers. You would think that I was suggesting sending her off to boarding school or something. I got lectured for quite a while about how I "just need to make more friends with kids Baby Beans age." I was pretty annoyed by the time I left the restaurant. Apparently they think I would get more "work" done if I added a few more kids to our house for a few hours a week. How long has it been exactly since they had a bunch of two year old kidsrunning around their house? Do they seriously think that would give me more time? I also mentioned that the naughty things that Baby Bean does, occasionally hitting, saying "your not my friend" are things that she learned from our friends kids.

I can't win with the in-laws. No matter what I do or say, I leave most visits feeling like they think I am failing as a parent.

I am a very strong person. I will continue to do what I feel is best for my daughter despite them. Of course I will let Baby Bean's Daddy have a say, at least once in awhile. LOL

The Great Grandmothers invited Baby Bean and I to go out to eat again this week. Do I dare?

No comments:

Post a Comment